Devastated mother’s emotional plea three years after son, 14, shot dead in playground

The devastated mother of a 14-year-old boy shot dead in a playground in east London three years ago has made an emotional plea to catch his killers.

Corey Junior Davis was blasted in the head at close range in Moore Walk, Forest Gate.

Corey – also known as CJ – had been with a friend when he was attacked at about 3pm on September 4, 2017. He was taken to hospital but died the following day.

Despite an extensive homicide investigation and a £20,000 reward, no one has been convicted of his murder.

His mother, Keisha McLeod, said: “Three years ago today my life stopped. Until my son’s murderer is brought to justice, I’m unable to move on or have any type of closure.

“CJ was a fun, loving, kind and handsome young boy. He loved dancing and would make us join in with his routines. He was incredibly talented and had so much to live for.

“I won’t give up on my campaign for justice until my son’s killer is behind bars and that’s why I’m asking anyone with any information to speak to the police.”

Corey had been expelled from Forest Gate Community School in Newham and placed in a pupil referral unit.

He told social workers that he feared for his life after being groomed by a local drug gang but was viewed as an offender, according to a 2018 report.

Cory was living with his uncle in south London for some months, but at the time of the murder was staying at his grandfather’s flat yards from where he was killed.

Detective Chief Inspector Dave Whellams, from the Met’s Specialist Crime Command, said: “It’s been a very complicated case but over time allegiances change and there may be people who couldn’t speak to police previously who are now prepared to help.

“Whatever anyone tells us will be treated sensitively and confidentially and we can protect them from any fear of retribution.

“We need people who were there at the time and who know what happened to put their trust in us, to come forward and to help give CJ’s family the answers and justice they deserve.”

A £20,000 reward is being offered by the Metropolitan Police Service to anyone who can provide information that leads to a conviction.